Select its Language : Spanish / English / Frances    
  Next the detailed tour:  


Porch: Large hall ornate whit Sevillan wall-tiles from 1643, featuring a realistic wood-carved crucifix and a picture made by Angelino.

The Visitor Room: So called because it was the waiting room of Friars.

Dome: Above the main staircase can be seen the moorishstile dome of impressive proportions made of wood 1625.

Library: The center of studies of Franciscans which contains 25,000 books and some rare and interesting tomes, including the first dictionary published bye the Real Spanish Academia.

Choir: The cedar choir-stalls consists of two magnificent lines of seats lavishly decorates whit wood-engravings.
The carved Saints are excellent examples of Baroque wood-sculpture, as is also the lectern.

The Main Cloister: The XVIII century cloister contains extensive corridors inlaid whit the finest Sevillan glazedtiles dated 1620. pictures illustrating the life of SAN FRANCIS OF ASSISI.

Stand Room: An impressive silver Stand of one and a half tons carried on Procession thru the City by 40 people, at the feast of Saint Jude Tadeus.

Museum of Viceregal Art: It consists of a main room whit silver artifacts on display featuring a large Monstrance inlaid whit precious stones as well as a beautiful painting collection attributed to Peter Paul Rubens School.

Clementine Hall: Serves as a lobby to the “Pinacotheca” the room is called Clementine in honor to the Pope Clemente X, pieces of furniture date from that time.

Refectory Room: Old dining room of the Franciscans and it has an excellent set of chairs of baroque style.

Sacristy: It was the place where the Franciscans used to put their Lithurgical Vestment on and purify themselves before to celebrate the masses.

Catacombs: Discovered in 1943, they countain thousand of skulls and bones, serving as a burial-place until 1808, when the city cemetery was opened outside Lima. It is estimated that 25,000 bodies were laid to rest there; the crypts, build of bricks and mortar are very solid and have stood up well the earthquakes, it is also believe that existed secret passageways connected to the Cathedral and the Tribunal of the Holy Inquisition.



Powered by: